DNSSEC and forward zones

Bill Owens owens at nysernet.org
Wed Nov 2 14:21:38 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 02, 2011 at 10:02:45AM -0400, WBrown at e1b.org wrote:
> But it does provide some alternatives:
>
> .intranet
> .internal
> .private
> .corp
> .home
> .lan
>
> But can we guarantee that they won't be approved as new public TLDs per
> the new rules adopted this summer where anything can be a TLD?

Oops, I didn't read that far in the draft ;) Interesting question, and it forced me to download and crack open the 352-page ICANN guidebook for new gTLDs. Page 2-8 says:

Top-Level Reserved Names List

AFRINIC
ALAC
APNIC
ARIN
ASO
CCNSO
EXAMPLE*
GAC
GNSO
GTLD-SERVERS
IAB
IANA
IANA-SERVERS
ICANN
IESG
IETF
INTERNIC
INVALID
IRTF
ISTF
LACNIC
LOCAL
LOCALHOST
NIC
NRO
RFC-EDITOR
RIPE
ROOT-SERVERS
RSSAC
SSAC
TEST*
TLD
WHOIS
WWW
*Note that in addition to the above strings, ICANN will reserve translations of the terms “test” and “example” in multiple languages. The remainder of the      strings are reserved only in the form included above.

I suppose any of those could be used. I like .invalid, personally ;)

Bill.