DNSSEC and forward zones

Jan-Piet Mens jpmens.dns at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 13:00:55 UTC 2011

> Is there an IETF/ICANN reserved TLD for internal use?  I've seen plenty of
> .loc and .local, but I haven't seen an RFC reserving it.  RFC 2606
> reserves .example, .invalid, .localhost and  .test but these don't seem
> approriate.

Not IETF/ICANN reserved, but ISO 3166 [1] reserves the following code
elements which could be used as "private" ccTLD :)

        "If users need code elements to represent country names not
        included in this part of ISO 3166, the series of letters AA, QM
        to QZ, XA to XZ, and ZZ, and the series AAA to AAZ, QMA to QZZ,
        XAA to XZZ, and ZZA to ZZZ respectively and the series of
        numbers 900 to 999 are available."

Regards,

        -JP

[1] http://www.iso.org/iso/customizing_iso_3166-1.htm