Switching from forwarding to recursion

Will Lists listswill at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 15:00:53 UTC 2011

I did get a chance to dig through the syslogs finally on one of the
internal name servers and I'm seeing a lot of these three entries for
various domains.  I would have to assume that one or all of these items
would also contribute to the lengthy times to resolve queries?

named[16593]: error (network unreachable) resolving '
a1294.w20.akamai.net/A/IN': 2001:428:1802:3f0:8719:deda:1eed:ea4#53

-- This would be due to our network (internal or external) not supporting
IPv6 I would assume.  I see that you can use the -4 flag when starting
named to force IPv4 only, but I'm not sure if/how you could actually force
this configuration via the named.conf file itself.

named[16593]: success resolving 'ns2.gslb.com/AAAA' (in 'gslb.com'?) after
reducing the advertised EDNS UDP packet size to 512 octets

-- Firewall configuration in regards to packet sizes?

named[16593]: success resolving 'ns2.gslb.com/A' (in 'gslb.com'?) after
disabling EDNS

-- ?

Thanks

-Will