Split DNS Configuration in BIND

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Mon May 30 05:45:28 UTC 2011

On 05/29/2011 21:59, babu dheen wrote:
> Hi,
> Would like to know how to configure split DNS in BIND running in RHEL
> 5.0 version. Below is our setup and requirement.
> " We have a zone called "mycompany.com" . So whenever my company users
> sitting in LAN try to access mycompany.com domain in explorer, they
> should get internal IP address(private IP address) whereas whenever
> users from internet should get public IP for mycompany.com domain"

Better yet, re-examine the reasons you want to do this, and consider not
doing it. It's incredibly rare that using split DNS is a solution to a
real problem, it's almost always something that people do because they
think they need to.

On the other hand, if you really need/want to have internal addresses to
access company resources, consider placing them in a separate zone.
Something like int.mycompany.com. You have to put these addresses in a
separate zone _file_ anyway, why not make it a separate zone? It will
reduce complexity for you in the long run.

hth,

Doug

			-- OK Go