subdomain delegation question #2: (simple config)

dalton stickney daltons.stickney at gmail.com
Tue May 24 17:09:00 UTC 2011

Hi all.

I have set up a simple bind config to test this. I am very obviously
missing something simple here, but i can't figure out what it is for
some reason.
I am trying to delegate name servers for the subdomain
sccnj04.example.com to ns sip.example.com.

When i dig i get no error, but also no answer:

; <<>> DiG 9.3.6-P1-RedHat-9.3.6-16.P1.el5 <<>> ns sccnj04.example.com @ns1
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;sccnj04.example.com.		IN	NS

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
example.com.		86400	IN	SOA	ns1.example.com. hostmaster.example.com.
2011052405 3600 900 864000 86400

;; Query time: 0 msec
;; SERVER: 10.1.0.8#53(10.1.0.8)
;; WHEN: Tue May 24 13:08:03 2011
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 88

Here is my simple config:

named.conf

options {
   directory "/var/named";
   version "Nope.";
};

zone "example.com" in {
      type master;
      file "example.com";
};

Here is the zone file:

$TTL 86400

; Start of Authority
example.com.            86400      IN SOA   ns1.example.com.
  hostmaster.example.com. (
                                                  2011052405 ; Serial
                                                  3600       ; Refresh
                                                  900        ; Retry
                                                  864000     ; Expire
                                                  86400      ; Min TTL
                                                  )
; Host

sip.example.com.                        IN A 10.1.0.8
; Nameserver
example.com.                        	IN NS ns1.example.com.

$ORIGIN sccnj04.example.com.
sccnj04		                        IN NS sip.example.com.

Thanks for any help or insight. I know i'm missing something obvious here.

Thanks,
Dalton