Bind 9.8 DNS recursion dont work from the client side - Bug?

Juergen Dietl isclists01 at googlemail.com
Mon May 16 10:00:11 UTC 2011

Hello,

I try to make an nslookup from the client. The server dont know the zone and
for this it should do recursion to another DNS-Server

options {
        dump-file "/var/log/named_dump.db";
        notify-source xx.x.xxx.xxx port 53;
        notify yes;
        listen-on port 53 { xx.x.xxx.xxx; };
        check-names slave ignore;
        directory "/xxxxxxxxxxxx";
        statistics-file "/var/log/named.stats";
        listen-on-v6 { none; };
        forwarders { xx.xxx.x.xxx; xx.xxx.x.xxx; };
        forward first;
        recursion yes;
};

I get back a refused from the server.

When I do a trace the server send the client:

Server can´t do recursive query (flag set).

But when I do a dig on the server on that name I get an answer and I have
the flags:

;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 6, ADDITIONAL: 6

qr ... query
rd ... recursive desired
ra ... recursive available

An it asks the right servers.

So why can i do it from the server but not from a client? This is a strange
behavior. Is there a bug in 9.8?
I have no restriction set on the server.

Any idea?
thanx for all your help,
cheers,
Juergen