Primary Server Name Change

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at tux.org
Sat May 14 03:56:36 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 01:09:35PM -0500, CT wrote:
> Primary Name server
> bind    - 9.7.3
> OS    - CentOS 5.6
> Authoritative for 2 zones using DNSSEC
>
> This may be an obvious question but I will ask anyway.. :)

To Mark's excellent response, I want to re-emphasize the importance of
making sure that your parent zone ends up with identical NS records (and
any A records needed as glue) to those in your zone whose NS records are
changing.  Remind them also to remove any old glue records no longer
needed, or update changed ones.  Failing to do all this is a common
cause of problems.

Also, I again point out that to the clients, there are generally no such
things as primary and secondary name servers - there are only peer name
servers.  One exception would seem to be the server in the MNAME field
of the SOA record - it is sent UPDATE records as the "primary" server
[the one with the master copy of the zone] - but this is frequently
filled in with a different name either for "stealth server" reasons or
just to avoid those UPDATE records.

--
**