forward first: iterative or recursive query

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Fri May 6 21:50:22 UTC 2011

On 5/6/2011 6:40 AM, iharrathi.ext at orange-ftgroup.com wrote:
> Thanks for the answer but:
>
>    *
>       In the example i post yesterday: on my server1 the recursion is
>       enabled (recursion yes), but the server1 can't recurse because i
>       stop it on firewall and it can't contact the outside.
>    *
>       You say "Don't use forwarding from a recursive server to a
>       non-recursive server" but when my server1 is recursive (and the
>       firewall allow it to contact the outside), and server2 don't
>       recurse because in it's conf recursion is set to no, when i ask
>       my server1 about ftp.example.com <ftp://ftp.example.com> (dig @0
>       ftp.example.com <ftp://ftp.example.com>) , server1 forward the
>       query to server2 which answer by the CNAME www.abc.com
>       <http://www.abc.com> and then server1 recurse to find the IP of
>       www.abc.com <http://www.abc.com>. and everything works fine.
>
>    *
>       you say "If server 2 is auth-only or otherwise can't resolve the
>       address of www.abc.com <http://www.abc.com/>, then forwarding a
>       query to it is not going to work." No as i say when server1
>       really recurse ( recursion yes, and the firewall allow the
>       server1 to contact outside) and server2 don't recurse (recursion
>       no) all is ok: server1 forward the query to server2 which answer
>       by the CNAME www.abc.com <http://www.abc.com/> and then server1
>       recurse to find the IP of www.abc.com <http://www.abc.com/>. and
>       everything works fine.
>    *
>       You say "then using a stub zone for example.com
>       <http://example.com/>will work", why i will use a stub zone
>       since  a forward do the same thing expected.
>
> And my question is always this:
> forward only; as i read means a recursive query, in other term a query
> with the RD bit is enabled. which means that when my server1 (which
> has recursion yes but can't recurse because the firewall don't
> allow it to contact the outside, which finally means server1 can't
> recuse) ask server2 about ftp.example.com <ftp://ftp.example.com>,
> server2 will normally make all the work means he read on it's zone,
> then find the CNAME, then make a recursion to resolve the CNAME and
> finally send the IP to server1.
> why server2 don't recurse to find the IP of www.abc.com?
According to your own words: "server2 don't [sic] recurse because in
it's [sic] conf recursion is set to no". There's your answer.

Why are you dealing with such screwy configs anyway? If you need to
resolve things from the Internet, then you need to have a resolution
path to the Internet (either directly talking to Internet nameservers,
or some forwarding chain -- hopefully as short as possible, preferably
0-length -- to something that can query Internet nameservers directly).
If, on the other hand, you need to resolve something internal, then you
only need to have an authoritative source of that information
internally. Why are you complicating things more than they need to be?
Setting recursion and then blocking it via a firewall? What purpose does
that serve?

                         - Kevin