Trouble loading a zone file after updating BIND

Torinthiel torinthiel at data.pl
Thu Mar 31 06:24:06 UTC 2011

On 03/31/11 04:54, Mike Diggins wrote:
> The A records for the two nameservers exist in the sub.Domain.CA zone
> file. I can fix the error by adding the two nameserver A records to the
> Domain.CA zone file but I'm wondering why this is an error with 9.7, and
> not 9.2.1, and is this the correct way to fix this?

Yes, it is the correct way. These are so-called 'glue records' and are
needed if (and only if) the nameservers are below the zone apex. If you
have one NS below zone apex, and another somewhere outside, than you
need one glue record. And these are needed because server needs to know
about NS, master because it needs to send notify and other servers (like
.CA in your example) to provide correct referrals.

Probably in 9.2 it wasn't required, but according to RFC 1034, last
paragraph of section 4.2.1, it is correct behaviour to require it.

Torinthiek