can I set the second nameserver to a public dns cache?

Timothe Litt litt at acm.org
Mon Mar 28 14:18:49 UTC 2011

No.  But you can use a public (commercial or non-commerical) secondary DNS
service.

Google "secondary dns" or "free secondary dns".  You will find a number of
services and reviews.

Be careful in selecting - many charge or limit you based on the number of
queries and/or zones.   QOS and reliablity vary, as do levels of support.
Note that not all secondary services use BIND.

Many of the free services don't yet support DNSSEC, don't accept NOTIFY
(polling instead) or are un-reliable.  Most don't support IPV6 and don't
have any QOS guarantee.  Also, for any serious use, you want geographic
separation for disaster-tolerance.  Nonetheless, you can find reasonable
free services.

Commercial services also vary the same parameters as well as price and
support.

I settled on puck.nether.net/dns for my personal domain, which seems to stay
current with BIND, has been reliable, supports IPV6 and NOTIFY and is
located in Chicago.  But your milage (and criteria) may vary.

This communication may not represent my employer's views,
if any, on the matters discussed.