A very Odd SOA Problem

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Tue Mar 15 03:26:13 UTC 2011

	We just moved one of our remote campuses to new IPv4
number space and I was having tremendous problems all day using
nsupdate. I thought it was because the change of DNS address had
not gone through yet, but it had and a whois lookup shows the
correct DNS addresses.

	When I finally debugged an nsupdate attempt, I see what
is happening but I am not sure why.

Found zone name: 253.112.64.IN-ADDR.ARPa
The master is: ns.osuit.edu
Sending update to 164.112.255.20#53

That's our problem. A SOA query seems to be returning
164.112.255.20 but the proper address is 64.112.255.20

I thought I had fat-fingered an entry in the zone for osuit.edu,
but if you query it for the SOA record, you get:

osuit.edu.		43200	IN	SOA	ns.osuit.edu. lisa.garrison.okstate.edu. 2222908 3600 900 608400 30

osuit.edu.		22697	IN	NS	ns2.osuit.edu.
osuit.edu.		22697	IN	NS	ns.osuit.edu.

ns.osuit.edu.		7956	IN	A	64.112.255.20
ns2.osuit.edu.		22697	IN	A	64.112.255.21

Those addresses are correct and the whois data base was updated
today with the same addresses.

Name Servers:
   NS.OSUIT.EDU       64.112.255.20
   NS2.OSUIT.EDU      64.112.255.21

I've been fighting this all day and have run out of ideas.

	Any ideas as to why the address is changing? I even did
a recursive grep on the master for 164.112.255 and didn't find a
thing matching that.

thanks for any suggestions. this totally breaks nsupdate unless
you force the server and zone information.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer