Stub zone vs forward zone

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Mon Mar 14 14:18:55 UTC 2011

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011, Jan-Piet Mens wrote:

> A stub zone tells BIND to load SOA and NS records from its masters {}.
> (forwarders {} is, I belive, both useless and incorrect here.) From that
> point onwards, your BIND will use the data in the stub to recursively
> find answers to queries for that zone.
>
> The forwarder on the other hand, instructs BIND to forward all queries
> for the zone to the addresses in the forwarders {} list; the target
> server must be prepared and willing to perform recursive lookups on your
> behalf.

If I understand correctly, the difference is visible if there are
delegated sub-zones. For a stub zone BIND will follow the NS records to
the delegated zone's authoritative servers; for a forward zone all
sub-domains will use the specified recursive servers in the "forwarders"
clause.

Tony.
South Fisher, German Bight: Variable, becoming easterly 3 or 4, increasing 5
or 6. Slight or moderate. Fog banks. Moderate, occasionally very poor.