Operating system recommendation

Fajar A. Nugraha work at fajar.net
Fri Mar 11 01:28:49 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 2:52 AM, pollex <andres.vidoz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I want to know in your experience what is the best operating
> system to run bind for an ISP. We currently have Debian for the 5
> Cache servers and for the 2 Authoritative servers.
> We have around 111851 success querys in the cache servers and around
> 7267 zones created in the authoritative servers.
> We are doing a major re analysis for all the arquitecture and Debian
> is changing to soon their versions and only have support for 1 version
> before so I dont know if this is best option

If your main concern is OS support I suggest go with RHEL (or if you
don't have money and just need updates, Centos). RHEL currently
supports three versions of their OS: RHEL 4 - 6 as part of 7-year
regular life cycle
(https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/errata/).

If your concern is performance, then I say CPU arch matters more than
OS. I've had much better performance with bind running on top of
x86_64 compared to sparc or ppc.

--
Fajar