different behavior: A Records in DNS answer, when query of type"any" (existing CNAME)

Taylor, Gord gord.taylor at rbc.com
Mon Mar 7 15:33:51 UTC 2011

AFAIK, there is no way to make BIND do that... Your example of google is
sort of unique though. Google writes their own DNS (see their FAQ
http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/faq.html
<http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/faq.html> ), so they are a
niche product.

I've seen instances where any DNS server type I query (BIND, DJB,
Microsoft, etc) all return a SERVFAIL, but google returns a response.
They have a very interesting DNS server which seems much more
"forgiving" than other DNS servers. This may have other implications
(security) implicatoins which have yet to be seen - on the other hand,
they may have simply written a great product.