Help with unresolvable domain (subdomain, actually)

John Wobus jw354 at cornell.edu
Fri Mar 4 15:40:43 UTC 2011

>> Then the load balancer should return default records or 0.0.0.0/:: to
>> indicate the name is good but doesn't currently have a address.
> I like that solution, actually. Even if the client doesn't recognize
> it
> as a "special" address, hopefully if it tries to connect to it, the
> packet won't make it past the first router or switch hop...
>
> Has anyone proposed this to the load-balancer vendors?

Isn't this just a specific instance of configuring a load balancer's
fallback address?  E.g., when server A and B are both down, give
address of
server C.  Some load balancers allow configuration of a server D to
be used only if C is down as well.  Address C or D could be configured
to be 0.0.0.0 and configured with no test for "up-ness".

(Not that I'm completely happy with 0.0.0.0 or any other address that
local folks could conceivably have figured out some crazy use for.)

John