Help with unresolvable domain (subdomain, actually)

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Wed Mar 2 18:20:08 UTC 2011

On 3/2/2011 10:34 AM, David Sparro wrote:

> On 3/1/2011 5:27 PM, Kevin Darcy wrote:
>> See my other post. This is designed-in behavior for Cisco GSSes, since
>> there is no "service unavailable, try again later" RCODE.
>>

> When the question is "what is the ip address of 'foo'" an answer of
> "the web server is down" in nonsensical.

Hmmm... matter of perspective I suppose. Load-balancer architecture sees
DNS as just the externally-visible portion of a whole subsystem. The
SERVFAIL, in their view, does not communicate a DNS problem _per_se_,
but a problem with the whole subsystem. It's more of a "what you're
trying to get to is unavailable right now" message, communicated, in
their view, _through_ DNS (as a sort of conduit), not necessarily
_about_ DNS. They don't see it as specifically meaning "I've got a DNS
problem".

I'm not saying I agree with this perspective, only that I've dealt with
load-balancer vendors enough (Cisco in particular) to understand that
this is where they're coming from.

Besides, what alternative is there? If the load-balancer returns an
address that it knows to not be working, then it's purposely causing the
client to go into a relatively-slow connection-timeout failure mode. Is
that responsible behavior? If it gives a "normal" response that is
lacking answer information (NODATA, NXDOMAIN), then this response gets
negatively cached, and the negative cache entry may delay clients from
re-trying the resource even after it recovers. So, what's left? NOTIMP?
FORMERR? REFUSED? NOTAUTH? Those aren't any better than SERVFAIL from a
strictly functional perspective, and are even more misleading and
confusing with respect to the real source of the problem.

                                                                     - Kevin