better performance with 32 bit ! why?

Sven Eschenberg sven at whgl.uni-frankfurt.de
Wed Jun 29 20:00:39 UTC 2011

Thanks for that insight. I already considered something like the 'single
core per udp socket' problem.

One thing that just popped up my mind:
Does it increase performance, when you, let's say, bind multiple IPs to
the same NIC and make bind listen to all of those IPs, while of course
taking care to fix the corresponding NS RRs to contact all of thos IPs.

(I'm thinking of something like:
    in NS ns1
    in NS ns2
ns1 in a ip1
ns1 in a ip2
ns2 in a ipa
ns2 in a ipb

While ip1 and ip2 in the example are on the same NIC
)

If I understood you right, this should probably scale better on machines
with a high number of cores and improve the number of queries that can be
processed. More available UDP sockets should lead to more cores being used
for the initial IO stuff.

I am just asking out of curiosity though.

Regards

-Sven