better performance with 32 bit ! why?

Sven Eschenberg sven at whgl.uni-frankfurt.de
Wed Jun 29 14:08:50 UTC 2011

Not neccessarily.

It really depends on many many things. How well does the OS kernel+NIC
driver scale, how good do they work in balancing among all CPUs+cores.

I do not know the inner workings of bind, but depending on the algorithmic
problems, distributed/parallel processing can even degrade performance,
sometimes the gain in distribution is not as good as expected due to
communication overhead etc. .

So the assumption that 8 at 1.6>>4 at 2.33 can not be safely made. Especially in
a single application scenario (A pure name server).

Maybe some bind developer can shed a light on this:
Does bind use epoll()?
AIO (as in Posix RT extensions)

As stated by others, use the same machine for all 3 scenarios (OS/Apps):
32/32
64/32
64/64

Regards