better performance with 32 bit ! why?

iharrathi.ext at orange-ftgroup.com iharrathi.ext at orange-ftgroup.com
Wed Jun 29 12:31:32 UTC 2011

The 64 bit server(server1) is faster than the 32 bit server (server2).

>Tests:
>Test1: OS 64 bit, bind 64 bit ==> 50000 qps server1
>Test2: OS 32 bit, bind 32 bit ==> 70000 qps server2
>Test3: OS 64 bit, bind 32 bit ==> 50000 qps server1

------------------------------

Message: 5
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 13:39:43 +0200
From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar at fantomas.sk>
Subject: Re: bind-users Digest, Vol 902, Issue 1
To: bind-users at lists.isc.org

On 29.06.11 11:04, iharrathi.ext at orange-ftgroup.com wrote:
>@ Andreas i made the test and i have the same performance as OS 64 bind 64.

>NB: when i reach the maximum throughput i still have enough free RAM,
> free CPU, free NIC capacity.  So the limit is in Bind.  What to do to
> reach more capacity?

Get faster CPU. Or get a L3 switch and more machines behind it.

>Tests:
>Test1: OS 64 bit, bind 64 bit ==> 50000 qps
>Test2: OS 32 bit, bind 32 bit ==> 70000 qps
>Test3: OS 64 bit, bind 32 bit ==> 50000 qps

Did you try this on the same maching, or are you still using 32-bit OS
on machine with faster CPU and 64-bit OS on slower CPU-machine?

It's now safe to throw off your computer.

End of bind-users Digest, Vol 902, Issue 2

IMPORTANT.Les informations contenues dans ce message electronique y compris les fichiers attaches sont strictement confidentielles
et peuvent etre protegees par la loi.
Ce message electronique est destine exclusivement au(x) destinataire(s) mentionne(s) ci-dessus.
Si vous avez recu ce message par erreur ou s il ne vous est pas destine, veuillez immediatement le signaler  a l expediteur et effacer ce message
et tous les fichiers eventuellement attaches.
Toute lecture, exploitation ou transmission des informations contenues dans ce message est interdite.
Tout message electronique est susceptible d alteration.
A ce titre, le Groupe France Telecom decline toute responsabilite notamment s il a ete altere, deforme ou falsifie.
De meme, il appartient au destinataire de s assurer de l absence de tout virus.

IMPORTANT.This e-mail message and any attachments are strictly confidential and may be protected by law. This message is
intended only for the named recipient(s) above.
If you have received this message in error, or are not the named recipient(s), please immediately notify the sender and delete this e-mail message.
Any unauthorized view, usage or disclosure ofthis message is prohibited.
Since e-mail messages may not be reliable, France Telecom Group shall not be liable for any message if modified, changed or falsified.
Additionally the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.