I can't resolve one domain: nhs.uk

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Mon Jun 20 23:59:03 UTC 2011

On 6/17/2011 8:01 AM, Phil Mayers wrote:
> On 17/06/11 12:10, Andrew Benton wrote:
>>
>> And it works well for every domain on the internet. Except for
>> www.nhs.uk - I can't resolve nhs.uk
>
> www.nhs.uk is, currently, a CNAME to
> www.prod.nhs.uk.akadns.net
>
> You might be suffering from the bind 9.8 CNAME issue. See the recent,
> repeated discussions in the archives, including a link to a quick
> one-line patch you can apply to see if it fixes it.
I know this is a moot point now (since Andrew eventually discovered that
upgrading his Netgear router's firmware fixed the problem), but it was
obvious from the first post of the thread that it was *not* a CNAME
issue, since Andrew was having problems resolving an A record for even
the name "nhs.uk":

    Jun 17 12:02:38 eccles named[4689]: client 127.0.0.1#36651: query
    failed (SERVFAIL) for nhs.uk/IN/A at query.c:6199

I'm happy for Andrew that his problem is fixed, but it would have been more satisfying to know what the root cause was. "Upgrading the firmware fixed it" unfortunately doesn't even necessarily imply that there was a bug in the old version of firmware, since sometimes the mere act of upgrading a networking device clears out some bogus/corrupted configuration data and thus "fixes" the problem.

													- Kevin