ksk in a volume

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Thu Jun 16 10:21:45 UTC 2011

Niobos <niobos at dest-unreach.be> wrote:

> However, I don't see any security-benefits in this scenario: If the attacker
> gets hold of the credentials to update the zone dynamically, he can do so in
> both cases (KSK online or offline). If your server is compromised, he can
> add/remove records in both cases. In case of ZSK compromise, you can
> generate&sign new ZSKs in both cases. In case of KSK compromise, you generate
> new KSKs and upload them to the parent. The only difference is that in the
> offline case, KSK compromise is a little less likely.

Getting the DS in the parent updated is much more difficult than a crash
ZSK rollover. The reason for protecting the KSK more than the ZSK is to
avoid the pain of having to deal with someone else in case of compromise.

Tony.
Shannon, Rockall: South or southwest 5 to 7. Rough or very rough, occasionally
high for a time. Rain or showers. Moderate or good.