question about thehartford.com domain

M. Meadows sun-guru at live.com
Wed Jun 15 12:28:39 UTC 2011

Good morning.

We sent the following email to the dns managers at thehartford.com this morning:

    Hi. We’re experiencing some issues with address record lookups for eftc.thehartford.com. We’ve got a couple questions about how this address record is set up.

Question : why does eftc as an address record in the thehartford.com zone file have a 30 second TTL? Seems … very … short. I think most nameservers won’t do less than a minute for an address record. Right?

Question : our check of whois indicates that ns1.thehartford.com and ns2.thehartford.com are the authoritative nameservers for thehartford.com. A dig with a +trace for eftc.thehartford.com seems to indicate that they are indeed the auth nameservers. It’s interesting, though, that an http://www.kloth.net/services/nslookup.php lookup for thehartford.com query for NS records shows a non-authoritative answer of hfdns3.thehartford.com, hfdns4.thehartford.com, simns3.thehartford.com, simns3.thehartford.com and simns4.thehartford.com. We’re unsure what’s going on with that.

    So we have a Microsoft set of DNS servers that seem to get confused J by this somehow. Not really clear to us what’s going on with it … but it’s sort of like there’s some negative caching going on for hfdns3, hfdns4, simns3 and simns4 … at some point … where these Microsoft DNS servers think those 4 servers are the authorities for the thehartford.com domain … and those auth nameserver names … can’t be found … resolved. Then for a period … until the Microsoft DNS servers have their cache cleared … they say … NOPE … no such servers out there. Can’t get to hfdns4, hfdns3, simns3 or simns4 at all … so we can’t resolve eftc.thehartford.com.

    Can you help us understand what’s going on?

Thanks!