second nameserver with two IPs

Jonathan Stewart jonathan.stewart at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 15:00:00 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 20:37, Jeff Peng <pengyh at inbox.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My second nameserver has tow IPs, for example,
>
> 61.144.56.1
> 61.144.57.1
> (They are in different CIDRs.)
>
> and my ns2.example.com was pointed to these two IPs.
>
> Will this cause problems, for example, the duplicated notification or zone-transfer?

I would expect duplicate notifications, but that's not any problem at all.

The zone would transfer once, because a serial number check is always
done before the transfer.  If a second notification was received, a
second serial number check (via SOA record) would be done, and, when
it found the same serial number, BIND would not transfer same zone a
second time.

As Torinthiel said though: try it out, and watch your logs to see
happens specifically.

--
     Jonathan