make zones default to frozen while allowing dynamic updates

Naveen Nathan naveen at lastninja.net
Sun Jul 31 02:45:48 UTC 2011

> > I'm running BIND 9.3.1. Is there a way to specify a zone should default
> > to frozen if an allow-update { ... } statement is specified?

[snip]

> 2)  no
>
> I'm curious as to why you would want to do this.

The operators of this specific BIND instance manually edit the zone files.

I would like to do a batch of updates across several hundred zones,
periodically, without interfering with manual editing. This is preferable
than writing a script to perform batch changes. After the periodic
update, I would like to restore the zones to frozen, so the
operators can continue to perform edits to the zone files.

Additionally, it is also preferable to perform these operations from a
remote server.

Thanks for the response, looks like in the end it will be a script.

- Naveen