Breaking up RFC 1918 reverse space

Peter Laws plaws at ou.edu
Mon Jul 25 21:53:52 UTC 2011

On 07/23/11 22:08, Karl Auer wrote:

> Maybe this is an overly naive approach, but can't you set up one zone
> for 10.0.0.0/8 and delegate as necessary from that single zone file?
> Anything that you don't have an answer for will get NXDOMAIN, which is
> presumably what you want.

> So:
>
>     zone "10.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
>             type master;
>             file "internal/db.10.rev";
>             allow-query { network_internal; };
>     };
>
> Then in the zone file internal/db.0.rev:
>
>     $ORIGIN 10.in-addr.arpa.
>     [...]
>     0 3600 IN NS ns00.mydomain.
>     1 3600 IN NS ns01.mydomain.
>     ... etc

I thought of that, too.  Were I delegating all slivers of the 10/8 space
(it's actually 4 10/10 spaces), then I'd have done it long ago and not
asked the question.  I'm more confused than that - read on.  :-)

What I think I didn't make clear in my first post was that I actually want
to do two things:

1) I want to break 10/8 space into 4 10/10 zones (actual, independent zones).

10.0.0.0/10
10.64.0.0/10
10.128.0.0/10
10.192.0.0/10

2) Serve one resulting zone myself, delegate all of two others, then
delegate parts of the last one.

So my initial question was incomplete.

I've read about $GENERATEing CNAME records for chunks and then delegating
the chunks, for example

0	IN	CNAME	0-63.10.in-addr.arpa.
1	IN	CNAME	0-63.10.in-addr.arpa.
2	IN	CNAME	0-63.10.in-addr.arpa.
etc

but done with $GENERATE and then actually delegating with

0-63.10.in-addr.arpa.	IN	NS	ns1.edu.
64-127.10.in-addr.arpa.	IN	NS	ns2.edu.
etc

Where I'm confused (or have confused myself) is the part about wanting to
actually break the zone up (I want to break it up for the usual reasons -
size and limiting damage)

--
Peter Laws / N5UWY
plaws at ou.edu