Breaking up RFC 1918 reverse space

Laws, Peter C. plaws at ou.edu
Sun Jul 24 01:01:52 UTC 2011

Decloaking to ask for pointers to some help regarding RFC 1918 zone delegation.

We use 10/8 space extensively over multiple campuses.  We need to delegate at the 10/ essentially, the 10/16 level.  Is there a better way to do it than

zone "0.10.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
        type master;
        file "internal/db.10.rev";
        allow-query { network_internal; };
};
zone "1.10.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
        type master;
        file "internal/db.10.rev";
        allow-query { network_internal; };
};

zone "2.10.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
        type master;
        file "internal/db.10.rev";
        allow-query { network_internal; };
};

et cetera, ad nauseum and then putting in NS records as necessary?

A little less than half of the zones would remain with us with the other half-and-a-bit delegated away.

I'm afraid of the answer since I fear I'm stuck with making 256 zones ...

BIND 9.3 as hacked by Red Hat, though now that we found the bind97 packages in the supported repo, we may go with that.

--
Peter Laws / N5UWY
plaws at ou.edu (Remote)