sort list and view

AMANI MOHAMED BIN SUWAIF amani at ies.etisalat.ae
Tue Jul 19 03:42:46 UTC 2011

Hi,

I have the below scenario

_TCP.EXAMPLE.COM    IN SRV    10    0    5060    primary-sbg.example.com
_TCP.EXAMPLE.COM    IN SRV    20    0    5060    secondary-sbg.example.com

I have 2 IP ranges and 2 SBGs host, my intention is

for client in IP range1
primary-sbg      IN    A    1.1.1.1
secondary-sbg    IN    A    2.2.2.2

for client in IP range2
primary-sbg      IN    A    2.2.2.2
secondary-sbg    IN    A    1.1.1.1

can this be achieved without using a views?

I thought this can be solved just by a sortlist, where
primary-sbg    IN    A    1.1.1.1
primary-sbg    IN    A    2.2.2.2
secondary-sbg    IN    A    2.2.2.2
secondary-sbg    IN    A    1.1.1.1

and then introduce the sortlist, which sorts the position of IP
addresses based on the IP range client comes from?
something like,

sortlist {
     {
      IPRANGE1;  // 1st client IP selection matches any of these
      {1.1.1.1;   // return any of these response IPs as 1st preference
      };
     {
      IPRANGE2;  // 1st client IP selection matches any of these
      {2.2.2.2;   // return any of these response IPs as 1st preference
      };
};

but in this case,
client from IPRANGE1 receive 1.1.1.1 as a first choice for both
primary-sbg and secondary-sbg
and
client from IPRANGE2 receive 2.2.2.2 as a first choice for both
primary-sbg and secondary-sbg
which is not the intention. sortlist doesn't not  consider domain name.
The intention is to have primary SBG for first iprange act as a
secondary SBG for the second ip range and vice verse and in similar
manner for multiple IP ranges and SBGs. Problem with views is that
anytime this setup gets bigger and we will have additional ip ranges and
additional SBGs, it will require additional views...

(LOC)RANGE    PRIMARY(LOC)   SECONDARY(LOC)
(L1)IPRANGE1  SBG1(L1)       SBG6(L2)
(L1)IPRANGE2  SBG2(L1)       SBG7(L2)
(L1)IPRANGE3  SBG3(L1)       SBG8(L2)
(L1)IPRANGE4  SBG4(L1)       SBG9(L2)
(L1)IPRANGE5  SBG5(L1)       SBG10(L2)

(L2)IPRANGE6  SBG6(L2)       SBG1(L1)
(L2)IPRANGE7  SBG7(L2)       SBG2(L1)
(L2)IPRANGE8  SBG8(L2)       SBG3(L1)
(L2)IPRANGE9  SBG9(L2)       SBG4(L1)
(L2)IPRANGE10 SBG10(L2)      SBG5(L1)

half of the SBGs is in one location (L1) and half in other (L2), that's
why it is important that for clients from ranges in one location, first
half of SBGs is preferred, and for other clients from second location
other half of SBGs is preferred. Client configuration should be
uniformed (same SRV) regardless the location.

--
Thanks & Regards,
*Amani*