DDNS propagation between views

Lyle Giese lyle at lcrcomputer.net
Sat Jul 9 02:14:50 UTC 2011

On 07/08/11 19:45, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
>> You can have views and separate zone files.  You need to plan and it
>> helps to read the FAQs at ISC about this.
>>
>> http://www.isc.org/faq/item/191
>
> Didn't even think about it that way, ok.
>
>> http://www.isc.org/faq/item/182
>
> How does one actually do away with views if that was an approach?
> Docs suggest acl's can be used outside a views clause, so I presume
> the use of allow-query directives would facilitate this. Just curious
> as it was mentioned...
>
> Thanks for the pointers!
> jlc

ACL's determine what services you will render to that client.  But I
don't think you can change an answer based on ACL's.

In other words, you can restrict recursive queries, but you can not give
answer 1 to question A while using acl's to give answer 2 to question A.
  This requires views and you separate the clients by 'acl's' inside the
views clause.

You could use separate named processes with separation by listening to
different IP address to do the same thing.

Using views, you probably need to understand TSIG to get zone transfers
straight. I don't think it's hard, but you do need to get your thought
patterns in order.

Lyle