DDNS propagation between views

Eivind Olsen eivind at aminor.no
Fri Jul 8 20:17:44 UTC 2011

Joseph L. Casale wrote:

> Are there any tunable's to speed up the propagation of dynamic updates
> between views without manually freezing and thawing the zone?

Hm, are you using the same zonefile for both your versions of the zone,
trying to share it between multiple views? If you are - don't. Views are
an abomination, giving people plenty of rope to hang themself with AND
plenty of chances to shoot themselves in the feet :D

(Yes, I'll admit, views do have their use, but it seems like more often
than not they end up confusing people)

Think of views as having two separate nameservers. I know it's not
_really_ like that, but it helps to think of it that way. Both load their
version of the zonefile into memory at startup, and even if the zone is
updated in one of the views, the other view won't know until being _told_
about it. When you do a freeze/thaw you're pretty much telling one of your
views "There, I _might_ have changed the contents of your zonefile, so now
you'll need to check it again".

Regards
Eivind Olsen