secondary nameserver for subdomains and notify messages to itself

Chris Buxton chris.p.buxton at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 17:31:38 UTC 2011

On Jul 8, 2011, at 8:10 AM, fddi wrote:

> Hello,
> I have primary DNS server for TLD domain mydomain.org which is also a secondary  DNS server for many other subdomains like
> domainX.mydomain.org
>
> this name server IP Address is 131.x.y.z  domain is mydomain.org ang his hostname is server2.mydomain.org
>
> he si serving as secondary the domains:
>
> domain1.mydomain.org
> domain2.mydomain.org
> domain3.mydomain.org
>
> and so on...
>
> in the log file I see that I have many notify messages from itself for the subdomains (domain1,domain2,domain3...)

What version of BIND are you using? I recall this behavior from BIND 9.3, but not from BIND 9.4 onward unless you defeat the automatic disabling of notifications to self.

This behavior is basically harmless, but if you want to disable it, set this in your options block:

	notify master-only;

This requires BIND 9.4+, as I recall. Or set this in every slave zone statement:

	notify no;

Regards,
Chris Buxton
BlueCat Networks