Split-DNS + Views + master/slave

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Thu Jul 7 17:21:51 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 07, 2011 at 05:59:29PM +0200, Ewald Jenisch wrote:
> So here is my question: How do I set up two servers (master/slave)
> using views (for internal and external clients) so that both of
> them hold the the correct data and return the correct answers to
> their respective clients (inside and outside)?

The trick is that the slave needs to query the master for each view
from a query source within that view. There are many ways in which
this can be achieved.

What I would do: link the sites with a VPN (openvpn for example),
wherein the VPN IP address of the slave is within the internal view
match-clients definition, and the external IP address is within the
external match-clients definition. NS records in each view resolve to
the appropriate IP address. Then when you update the internal view,
the slave gets the notify on the VPN IP address, and it transfers the
internal view over the VPN; and when you update the external view,
the notify and AXFR/IXFR is to/from the external IP address.

If you don't like this suggestion, read in the ARM about
match-clients and other means of assigning a query to a view.