Difference between netstat & rndc status

iharrathi.ext at orange-ftgroup.com iharrathi.ext at orange-ftgroup.com
Mon Jul 4 08:37:38 UTC 2011

Let's begin by showing your bind tcp and udp connections,
netstat -tunape | grep named | wc -l

Best regards.
Issam HARRATHI

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2011 11:33:13 +0430
From: "Bind" <bind at dci.ir>
Subject: Difference between netstat & rndc status
To: bind-users at lists.isc.org

Hello Admins
When i run :
#netstat -an |grep udp |wc
it returns a number which is lower than the output of rndc status recursive clients.
what is the difference between netstat -an |grep udp |wc(open udp ports to dns server) and amount of recursice clients in the rndc status command?
I thinked they should present the same value? doesnt it?
Does the difference point the cache hints?
here is my values:
ns1# netstat -an | grep udp | wc
     630    3150   42210
ns1# netstat -an | grep tcp | wc
      22     132    1669
ns1# rndc status
version: 9.7.3-P1 (version not currently available) CPUs found: 4 worker threads: 4 number of zones: 18 debug level: 0 xfers running: 0 xfers deferred: 0 soa queries in progress: 0 query logging is OFF recursive clients: 1497/9900/10000 tcp clients: 3/1000 server is up and running

Regards
Iman
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

------------------------------

Message: 2
> it returns a number which is lower than the output of rndc status
> recursive clients.
> what is the difference between netstat -an |grep udp |wc(open udp
> ports to dns server) and amount of recursice clients in the rndc status command?

Not the same stuff at all.
netstat -an|grep udp shows the UDP concurrent connections currently.

> recursive clients: 1497/9900/10000

This shows the history count of DNS replying.

Regards.

End of bind-users Digest, Vol 906, Issue 1

IMPORTANT.Les informations contenues dans ce message electronique y compris les fichiers attaches sont strictement confidentielles
et peuvent etre protegees par la loi.
Ce message electronique est destine exclusivement au(x) destinataire(s) mentionne(s) ci-dessus.
Si vous avez recu ce message par erreur ou s il ne vous est pas destine, veuillez immediatement le signaler  a l expediteur et effacer ce message
et tous les fichiers eventuellement attaches.
Toute lecture, exploitation ou transmission des informations contenues dans ce message est interdite.
Tout message electronique est susceptible d alteration.
A ce titre, le Groupe France Telecom decline toute responsabilite notamment s il a ete altere, deforme ou falsifie.
De meme, il appartient au destinataire de s assurer de l absence de tout virus.

IMPORTANT.This e-mail message and any attachments are strictly confidential and may be protected by law. This message is
intended only for the named recipient(s) above.
If you have received this message in error, or are not the named recipient(s), please immediately notify the sender and delete this e-mail message.
Any unauthorized view, usage or disclosure ofthis message is prohibited.
Since e-mail messages may not be reliable, France Telecom Group shall not be liable for any message if modified, changed or falsified.
Additionally the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.