Problem with name resolving

Lyle Giese lyle at lcrcomputer.net
Fri Jul 1 12:51:27 UTC 2011

On 07/01/11 05:02, Markus Feldmann wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> i have a private Network with a Debian Lenny Server/Router and the
> Services BIND9.7.3(DDNS)/DHCP4.1.1/PPPOE3.8/CUPS1.4.4/APACHE2.2.16 and
> Kernel 2.6.37.2.
>
> My Problem is that he can not resolve himself and regardless from which
> PC i do a ping i can not resolve my two name-based-virtual hosts.
> Furhter on i do not know how to setup my network at the best dynamically?
>
> When my pppd program dials in it gets two nameservers which he shall
> save in /etc/resolv.conf or not? When i save this two nameservers in
> /etc/resolv.conf i have problem too resolve my local network, but when
> pppoe does not save these two nameservers, i have problem to resolve
> internet names from my server view.
>
> Further on i can not reach my two virtual Apache Hosts
> www.feldland.dyndns.org, test.feldland.dyndns.org, but i can reach
> feldland.dyndns.org which leads me to test.dyndns.org.
>
> Here are my named-based-virtual hosts defind with port 80:
> /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/umleiten --> http://paste.pocoo.org/show/425695/
> All request will be redirected to Port 443:
> cat /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/standard-ssl -->
> http://pastebin.com/BPZDTMGF
>
> DDNS/DHCP-Service seems to work. So i post not all configs but only the
> involved configs i think.
>
> /etc/resolv.conf:
> domain feldland.lan
> search feldland.lan
> nameserver 0.0.0.0
> nameserver 192.168.2.1
>
> /etc/host.conf:
> order hosts,bind
> multi on
>
> /hostname:
> feld-server
>
> /etc/hosts:
> 127.0.0.1 localhost
> 192.168.0.186 feld-server.feldland.lan feld-server
>
> /etc/networks:
> default 0.0.0.0
> loopback 127.0.0.0
> link-local 169.254.0.0
>
> My DNS-server shall only be presentative for my local network regardless
> from which Client or Server in my Network and all other Internet request
> shall be redirected to my Arcor DNS Server.
>
> Further on i post some commands which evidence my problem:
> Some <nslookup> --> http://pastebin.com/aLKay6F9
> Some <dig> --> http://pastebin.com/WfCrssMD
>
> Any hints or ideas?
>
> regards Markus

Markus,
To be sure, you know that nslookup and dig do NOT use the search
parameter in /etc/resolv.conf.  So when you do an nslookup or dig query,
you have to use the fully qualified domain name(FQDN).

PING uses the search parameter in /etc/resolv.conf, so that can be a
source of confusion for you.

You have not posted your named.conf or the contents of any local zone
files you may be using.  Those are important for troubleshooting this issue.

It would appear that you setup the dyndns client on your debian box to
update feldland.dyndns.org.  But how and where do you update the other
two?  www.feldland.dyndns.org and test.feldland.dyndns.org

Or did you forget to create those at dyndns.org?

Lyle Giese
LCR Computer Services, Inc.