dns best practices

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Wed Jan 26 20:48:45 UTC 2011

The document is a little sloppy. In addition to the mis-description of
the DNS resolver algorithm, already noted in a previous post, the part
in Section 8.1.2 about restricting zone transfers -- "These restrictions
address [...] potential exploits from unrestricted dissemination of
information about internal resources" -- makes up a "dissemination"
threat out of thin air, which was not mentioned in the previous,
supposedly-exhaustive enumeration of zone-transfer-related threats in
Section 6.2 -- a) denial-of-service, and b) message tampering.

                                                     - Kevin