Forward using CNAME record

Torinthiel torinthiel at data.pl
Tue Jan 25 15:40:52 UTC 2011

Dnia 2011-01-25 10:18 Henry Hartley napisał(a):

>My apologies if this gets to the list twice. I tried to post it through
>the web interface but it seems to have been dropped by whatever
>screening gets applied.
>
>I'm not sure if I've misunderstood the use of CNAME or if I've simply
>done something wrong.
>
>I have two domains that I want to forward. One is working properly and
>the other is not. In both cases I want users to enter a URL in their
>browser (www.example.com) and be forwarded to a different system, where
>the user has their site. In the working case, the forwarding it to
>web.me.com so I have the following in my zone file:
>
>www.example.com.   CNAME   web.me.com.
>
>When you point your browser to www.example.com (obviously not
>"example") the page on web.me.com loads properly but www.example.com is
>still displayed in the address bar.
>
>In the second case, which is NOT working, I have a similar CNAME record
>but instead of web.me.com, it's on tumblr.com. So, I have this (this is
>the actual domain):
>
>www.ioanamorosan.com.  CNAME   ioanamorosan.tumblr.com.
>
>If you go directly to ioanamorosan.tumblr.com, the site loads, but if
>you go to www.ioanamorosan.com, you get a tumblr.com 404 error page. The
>browser still displays www.ioanamorosan.com in the address bar.
>
>So, is this a situation where web.me.com is set up to recognize
>www.example.com properly but tumblr.com is not? Or what?
>
>Should I be able to do what I'm trying to do?

No, not exactly. your name properly resolves to the same domain as
ioanamorosan.tumblr.com. Your DNS setup is perfectly correct. But the web
server is not configured to handle www.ioanamorosan.com.
If you go to ioanamorosan.tumblr.com it handles the name correctly and gives
your page. But when faced with a name it doesn't recognize it falls back to
default site.

If you have a web panel to configure your hosting, look for something named
alternative domain names, aliases, virtual hosts or virtual servers.

The name that is sent to the web serwer is the one typed in browser, and has
nothing to do with any CNAME records on the way. The web server must be
configured to handle it.
Torinthiel