failed multi-view zone transfer

Chris Buxton chris.p.buxton at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 17:43:07 UTC 2011

Notifications by default do not go to the server listed in the mname
field of the SOA record, so that the primary master does not notify
itself.

If you put the actual primary master's name in the mname, does it work
correctly?

You saud that also-notify lists the slaves. This should ensure that
both slaves receive notifications, regardless of the mname value. If
that is not working, then it sounds to me like you've found a bug.

Regards,
Chris Buxton
BlueCat Networks

On 1/21/11, jeffreyp <bindusers at bindusers.exjay.com> wrote:
> greetings,
>
> i'm in the midst of an odd problem (to me, anyway) and would appreciate
> any pointers.
>
> three servers, all running bind-9.7.2-P3 compiled from source with the
> same options.  one master; two slaves.  two views:  internal and
> external.  one master and one slave are on the same subnet with just a
> switch between 'em; the other slave is on a different subnet "out on the
> internet".
>
> i'm wanting to have both views for all zones transferred to both slaves.
>   i've set things up with tsig and per mark andrews' great scheme
> documented at
> http://www.mail-archive.com/bind-users@lists.isc.org/msg03593.html
>
> transfers from the master to the slave on its same subnet happen as
> desired; transfers from the master to the slave on the different subnet
> do not.
>
> notify logging shows that the notifies are being properly received by
> both slaves.
>
> my master zone definitions specify also-notify for both slaves.  each
> slave zone definition specifies a masters statement.
>
> what i've observed (initially because of a typo and quite by chance) is
> that the transfer to the slave on the internet does not happen if the
> host specified in the SOA's MNAME field is also specified in an NS record.
>
> but if the host specified in the SOA's MNAME field is not an NS record
> then the transfer does complete.  and therein lies the problem.
>
> i've intentionally not posted my config, thinking someone might
> recognize this off the top of their head.  i will certainly post it if
> necessary.
>
> thanks,
>
> jeffreyp

Sent from my mobile device