nsupdate to all servers

Lyle Giese lyle at lcrcomputer.net
Fri Jan 14 20:31:54 UTC 2011

pyh at mail.nsbeta.info wrote:

> Hello,
> My bind servers are hosting with many zones, and many views.
> Due to the complication, I won't run the master/slave with TSIG keys
> for replication.
> I want to run nsupdate to all servers separately for the records update.
> Is this a good idea? Thanks
> Regards.
nsupdate is a utility to make changes in a dynamic dns zone. It has
nothing to do with replication of zone data from master to slave.

One of the reason TSIG keys were created was to help with the
replication of views. You have a complex setup and IMHO, you need to use
the normal replication built into BIND using the TSIG keys to move
around between views.

Yes, it's complicated, but so is your setup. Just move forward in that
direction slowly and carefully and IMHO, you will end up with a stable
and well running system without any hacks to trip over later.

Lyle Giese
LCR Computer Services, Inc.