help with views design

Terry. terry at list.dnsbed.com
Mon Feb 14 03:12:35 UTC 2011

Hello gurus,

Thanks firstly since I have got many helps from the list before.
Now I'm designing a open DNS service, say I have three views as below:

view "uni" {
      match-clients {
          key "unikey";
          UNI;
      };
      allow-update {key "unikey";};
      zone "test.nsbeta.info" {
           type master;
           file "test.nsbeta.info.uni.db";
      };
};

view "edu" {
      match-clients {
          key "edukey";
          EDU;
      };
      allow-update {key "edukey";};
      zone "test.nsbeta.info" {
           type master;
           file "test.nsbeta.info.edu.db";
      };
};

view "any" {
      match-clients {
          key "defaultkey";
          any;
      };
      allow-update {key "defaultkey";};
      zone "test.nsbeta.info" {
           type master;
           file "test.nsbeta.info.any.db";
      };
};

Some customer's domain names have all three views, so I define the
zones in each view, they work fine.

But some customers have only two views, say it's view uni and view any.
Thus I setup zones in view uni and view any, but view edu will be lost.
If the clients from edu network query for the zones, they will get
NXDOMAIN result.

For my DNS service, the customers submit their records from web
interface, the records are inserted into database.
Then a daemon will load the new updated records from database and call
nsupdate to update them to BIND.

I know I can use complicated SQL to resolve it, for example, if the
customer doesn't have edu view, I could copy all the records from any
view to edu view in database with SQL statement. If the customer later
add a record to edu view, before insert it to database, I have to drop
all the before records copied from any view, etc.

But rather than using SQL doing it, is there a good BIND way handling this case?

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

--
Free SmartDNS Hosting: