bind on vps

Walter Alejandro Iglesias eloi at roquesor.com
Sun Feb 13 11:52:56 UTC 2011

Hello,

I read bind howto, several tutorials, mailing lists.  After
two months trying to get this working without success I must
bother you.

I am running a Slackware in a vps server, it provides me two
IPs (I can ask for more if needed).

I have the domains registered at go daddy.

It will be a web hosting sever.  I wrote my own web client
panel and my own bash scripts to automate the upload of new
client's virtual domains.  That's why I want to run my own dns
server; I want to be able to update the registers in my own
machine.

I am running my name server in the same machine I run my
domains.  I've read a post in this mailing list where a newbie
like me explains the same problem.  But the last answer
mention only about "glue" records and I think I've included
them correctly(?).  nslookup returns me the expected when I
run from inside the vps but not when I run it from the
outside.

I've defined two zones.  The first to my main domain, I need
to run a ssl site and I prefer dedicate the first ip to it.
And a template zone to the rest of virtual domains.

I've opened port 53 in my firewall.

Stuff
-----

mydomain.com
virtualdomain.com	(more late I want to be able to add
			virtualdomain2.com, virtualdomain3.com, etc.
			pointing to the template zone).

11.22.33.44 (first ip provided for vps)
11.22.33.45 (second ip provided for vps)

/etc/hosts.com
127.0.0.1	localhost.localdomain	localhost
11.22.33.44	server1.mydomain.com

/etc/resolv.conf
search		mydomain.com
nameserver	127.0.0.1
nameserver	208.67.222.222
nameserver	208.67.220.220

/etc/named.conf
options {
	directory "/var/named";
	query-source address * port 53;
	forward first;
	forwarders {
		208.67.222.222;
		208.67.220.220;
	};
};

// I keep the localhost zone configuration untoched.   This point to Slackware
// default config files.
zone "." IN {
	type hint;
	file "caching-example/named.root";
};

zone "localhost" IN {
	type master;
	file "caching-example/localhost.zone";
	allow-update { none; };
};

zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" IN {
	type master;
	file "caching-example/named.local";
	allow-update { none; };
};

// Zones I added
zone "mydomain.com" {
	type master;
	file "mydomain.com.zone";
};
zone "virtualdomain.com" {
	type master;
	file "template.zone";
};
zone "33.22.11.in-addr.arpa" {
	type master;
	file "11.22.33";
};

Main zone
; mydomain.com.zone
$TTL	86400
@	IN	SOA	ns1.mydomain.com.	root.mydomain.com. (
				2011011902	; Serial
				8H		; Refresh
				2H		; Retry
				4W		; Expire
				1D)		; Minimum TTL
@	IN	NS	ns1.mydomain.com.
@	IN	NS	ns2.mydomain.com.
@	IN	A	11.22.33.44
www	IN	A	11.22.33.44
ns1	IN	A	11.22.33.44
ns2	IN	A	11.22.33.45

Template zone
; template.zone (second ip)
$TTL	86400
@	IN	SOA	ns1.mydomain.com.	root.mydomain.com. (
				2011011902	; Serial
				8H		; Refresh
				2H		; Retry
				4W		; Expire
				1D)		; Minimum TTL
@	IN	NS	ns1.mydomain.com.
@	IN	NS	ns2.mydomain.com.
@	IN	A	11.22.33.45
www	IN	A	11.22.33.45

Reverse zone
; 11.22.33
$TTL	86400
@	IN	SOA	ns1.mydomain.com.	root.mydomain.com. (
				2011011901	; Serial
				8H		; Refresh
				2H		; Retry
				4W		; Expire
				1D)		; Minimum TTL
@	IN	NS	ns1.mydomain.com.
@	IN	NS	ns2.mydomain.com.
44	IN	PTR	mydomain.com.
44	IN	PTR	www.mydomain.com.
45	IN	PTR	virtualdomain.com.
45	IN	PTR	www.virtualdomain.com.
44	IN	PTR	ns1.mydomain.com.
45	IN	PTR	ns2.mydomain.com.

----------- end config files -------------------------

In case my configuration is OK,
what must I ask to my vps provider?
what must I do at go daddy?

At go daddy I added ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com
records and associate them to the two ips in its web
interface.

At my vps panel I have an option to reverse address domain
names, could it confuse dns?  Must I use this registers or
must I leave it blank?  I case it is convenient setup a domain
name at VPS dns, what can I put there?

Well I will really appreciate your help.

Walter