bind8 and bind9 installed on the same server: possible?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Feb 1 17:08:33 UTC 2011

On 01/02/11 16:33, hugo hugoo wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I plan to upgrade my nameservers from bind8 to bind9.
> I guess I will encounter some compatibility problems notably in the
> layout of the zone files
>
> - can anybody give me the point of attention for this upgrade? Your
> experience will be appreciated.
>
> - is it possible to install bind9 without removing bind8 in order to
> could easily and quickly swith from bind8 to bind9 and vice versa?

We used to compile different versions of bind9 to different locations
using ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/bind-$VER then use symlinks to
switch between versions - that's probably your best approach.

(We don't bother these days, and build OS packages and use cfengine to
manage configs and versions)