DNSSEC key renew time policy

Marc Lampo marc.lampo at eurid.eu
Wed Dec 28 13:30:28 UTC 2011

Hello,

To be more precise :
1) DNSSEC key's do not expire !  (Signatures - generated with key's - do
!)
   --> this message does not mean you have to *renew* DNSSEC key;
       you have to regenerate signatures.

2) ISC tools generate signatures that are by default valid for one month
(30 days)
    (after generation time - make sure calculating server is time sync'd)

3) I suppose, though, you are using (or : trying to use) Bind's "smart
signing".
    In which case you are, unfortunately, not the first to notice
signatures
    may not be regenerated in time :-(
   Already several incidents - with even tld's sending expired signatures
-
   happened in this area.

   --> either don't use smart signing (and have some cronjob recalculate
every week
        - in addition to recalculation after a change in the unsigned zone
data)
       Or "thaw" and "unthaw" zone files - it has been experienced this
triggers
        "smart signing" into recalculating (but double check !)

4) Although DNSSEC key's do not expire, do change them regularly :
    2-3 months for ZSK's,
    1-2 years for KSK's.

Kind regards,

Marc Lampo