About root zones

Peter Andreev andreev.peter at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 07:54:26 UTC 2011

David, thank you, I checked and all seems good :).

2011/12/21 Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar at fantomas.sk>:
>> 2011/12/21 Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar at fantomas.sk>:
>>>
>>> Disabling recursion should do the same afaik. However, disabling
>>>
>>> additional-from-cache is OK and afaik disabled by default.
>

> On 21.12.11 19:21, Peter Andreev wrote:
>>
>> No, it is enabled by default.
>

>>> server needs to resolve names if it's supposed to send NOTIFY messages.
>>

>> All these servers are slaves. They don't send notifies.
>

> they do, unless you have turned it off...

Of course I turned it off, it's normal practice for slaves, I assume.

>> So while I'm really confused about described issue, I'd like to not
>> speculate on it, because it happened only once.
>> What I don't like at all is the impossibility to disable these
>> lookups.
>

> Do you think if server needed to resolve something, and you would disable
> it, it would work better? I think just the oposite. If a server does lookups
> only when needed, then disabling required lookups would make it not working.

I think that if server is authoritative - and - slave-only it should
use system resolver rather than querying by itself.

Where can I find information about what causes queries for internal
duties? If it can be found in ARM, could you please point me to the
right chapter. May be I missed something while reading it. The only
mention I have met is that additional resolving is needed for sending
notifies (And will this resolving be performed in case of list of
slaves' ip addresses is written in named.conf?).

>> Ok, may be I'm a paranoid and worrying about trifles, but news about
>> compiled in hints astonished me.
>

> since it only happened once and you weren't able to find out what really
> happened (did you at least make sure your customer is right?), it should not
> be an issue to care about this much...
>
> --
> Matus UHLAR - fantomas, uhlar at fantomas.sk ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
> If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

AP