bind as a service on windows "-c" option not working

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Thu Dec 15 01:11:23 UTC 2011

On 12/14/2011 2:35 PM, Vbvbrj wrote:
> Bind 9.8.1 P1 installed in D:\bind9.
> Config files and other zone files and log files in D:\bind_config
> Service configuration: Path to executable"
> "D:\bind9\bin\named.exe" -c "D:\bind_config\etc\named.conf"

I haven't looked at this part of the code in a long time but it should
work. Though the registry key should be ImagePath. Did you use
BINDInstall to install it?

> named.conf has the line:
> directory "D:\named.conf";

Unless you actually have a folder called D:\named.conf\ then I suspect
this is wrong. It should be the directory containing your files not the
name of the config file.

> If the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ISC\BIND\"InstallDir" is
> present, then at the start the named.conf is searched under the folder
> "etc" of "InstallDir" folder.
> If I delete this key, the the named.conf file is searched in
> system32/etc folder or something under system32 folder.

Yes. that's what it's designed to do.

> In both cases the "-c" option is not taken by the service.

Debugging this is not easy but having the arguments on the ImagePath
registry should be okay.

 As starting
> bind from command line, the "-c" option is taken in account and
> named.conf is read from the specified path.

That's expected.

> How to tell the named running as a service to read the config file from
> the path specified with "-c" option?
> Some one please.

Is there a reason that you want to look for it in a different place from
where it is currently looking? What's the real issue behind your question.

Danny