.TLD minimum number of nameservers rule

Fajar A. Nugraha work at fajar.net
Mon Dec 12 23:50:08 UTC 2011

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 6:20 AM,  <nudgemac at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> Thanks all. Chris, Anand that's very useful to know, sorry Jeff and Philippe,
> your interesting suggestions wont work in this case.
>
> If I attack the problem from the other way down instead, the fact my current
> registra doesn't allow me to add PTR or DNAME records to my top level domain
> limits what exactly ?

What IS the problem, exactly? You're describing two things that
doesn't seem to be related: number of NS for a zone, and PTR/DNAME
records.

If you don't "own" an IP address, then usually you don't need to
bother about PTR records at all. If you need to change PTR record for
an IP address that you use (e.g. VPS, colo, home connection, etc) you
usually need to ask your ISP to update/change it.

DNAME creates an alias for one or more subdomains of a domain. Chances
are you won't need it for common uses.

> For instance, would this be a problem when implementing a
> wide area bonjour subdomain using my own local dns server for clients that are
> mobile (internal/external) ?

Bonjour should work even without a DNS server.

> I'm only allowed to add A NS MX CNAME TXT and SRV records via the web interface

... because those are the ones mostly used.

> of my registra and I imagined that I'd need PTRs or a DNAME or some ther glue
> frustratingly unavailable. Having heard your response to my original question,
> I'm now desperately wishing that I got that wrong...

You could always create your own DNS server if you REALLY need those
record types :)
The cheapest VPS is about $15/year, which should be more than enough
for a secondary DNS server.

--
Fajar