zone updates different in different views

Dan Pritts danno at internet2.edu
Sat Dec 10 22:44:42 UTC 2011

Hi,

using bind 9.8.1-p1 on rhel5 i386

Having a problem with views.  My intended configuration:

* most zones are identical in either view

* a few zones are added in the internal view

* networks in the internal view can do recursive queries (yeah, i know,
i'm not supposed to mix authoritative & recursing servers, but it's not
illegal, right?)

I've configured things this way, and it basically works.

However, when I update a zone on my master server, the changes are not
fully propagated to the slaves.  The "internal" view on the slaves
generally picks up the changes; the "external" view, however, often
doesn't.

I haven't been able to divine a pattern to when this happens and when it
doesn't.

I use rndc reload on the master to have it pick up the changes.

Here are the view configs.  the included files contain zone statements.

As I write this, i wonder if the problem is because i include the same
authoritativezones.conffile in all three views.

========= begin

view "internet2"
{
         match-clients    {  some clients here         };

         recursion yes;
         // you'd think "recursion yes" would enable recursion, but
you'd be wrong.
         allow-query-cache { any; };

         // all views must contain the root hints zone:
         include "stdzones/named.root.hints";

         include "conf/runtime/internet2.edu.conf";
         include "conf/runtime/authoritativezones.conf";
};

view "member-meetings"
{
         match-clients    {  some other clients here        };

         recursion yes;
         // you'd think "recursion yes" would enable recursion, but
you'd be wrong.
         allow-query-cache { any; };

         // all views must contain the root hints zone:
         include "stdzones/named.root.hints";

         include "conf/runtime/authoritativezones.conf";
};

view "external"
{
// This view will contain zones you want to serve only to "external" clients
// that have addresses that are not on your directly attached LAN
interface subnets:
//
         match-clients           { any; };
         match-destinations      { any; };

         // you'd probably want to deny recursion to external clients,
so you don't
         // end up providing free DNS service to all takers
         recursion no;

         // Disable lookups for any cached data and root hints
         allow-query-cache { none ; };

         // all views must contain the root hints zone:
         include "stdzones/named.root.hints";

         // this should be a symlink, depending on master-slave status
         include "conf/runtime/authoritativezones.conf";

};

thanks!

danno
--