CNAME only zone?

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Fri Dec 9 17:41:06 UTC 2011

On Friday 09 December 2011 10:25:36 Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> Is it possible to create a zone file that only contains a CNAME?

As already answered, no.

> The request I got is to create a CNAME to point shop4water.com to
> shop4water.hostedbywebtstore.com.

You can ask your registrar if they can/will do this in the parent
"com." zone. I have seen ugliness of this type from either Network
Solutions or register.com before, not sure which.

> We own shop4water.com – hostedbywebstore.com is something external
> that we don’t own.

Do note that hostedbywebtstore is not the same as hostedbywebstore;
we're sticklers for precise spelling.

Also note that other workarounds will solve the same problem in a
better way.