Algorithm 'When to use EDNS0'?

John Wobus jw354 at cornell.edu
Fri Dec 2 15:22:36 UTC 2011

On Nov 30, 2011, at 4:39 PM, Mark Elkins wrote:
> All this comes about as I had the expectation that DIG would run in a
> similar way to any other 'dns lookup' - which it currently doesn't.

It is what it is, but I've always considered dig to be a tool
aimed at giving you a means of doing lookups independent of your
client's dns-related behavior and configuration.  It's the one
widely-distributed tool with that property.  Such a tool
is invaluable when trying to determine or confirm specific server
behavior.

John Wobus
Cornell U