what does dig +trace do?

Marc Lampo marc.lampo at eurid.eu
Tue Aug 30 12:25:59 UTC 2011

Hello,

"+trace" makes dig behave like it were a caching name server with an empty
cache, so to speak.

What strikes me as odd is that the first query does return 4 (internal) root
servers, but no glue records ?
Given those root name servers, do you have A-records for root[1234] in your
root zone ?

Kind regards,

Marc Lampo