DNSSEC and MS AD

Marc Lampo marc.lampo at eurid.eu
Wed Aug 10 06:11:51 UTC 2011

Unless I'm very mistaken, an "AD Integrated" (as opposed to
"primary"/"secondary") zone cannot be protected by DNSSEC.  (remember
having read this in the MS's DNSSEC document).

Also (in that document) : max algorithm supported is 5 (RSASHA1).
This means that using MS DNS as validating caching name server is
pointless,
as the root uses algorithm 8 and domains with unknown algorithms are
treated as "unsigned".
--> for MS DNS, the chain-of-trust breaks right at the top level, not ?

Kind regards,

Marc Lampo
EURid
Security Officer