big improvement in BIND9 auth-server startup time

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Tue Aug 9 18:33:23 UTC 2011

On 08/09/2011 11:17, J. Thomsen wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Aug 2011 17:18:13 +0000,Evan Hunt <each at isc.org> wrote:
>
>>> The master now loaded about 650 zones/sec.
>>> The slave did not change from the usual 120 zones/sec.
>>
>> I'm purely guessing, but I wonder if there's some rate-limiting
>> due to the SOA queries slaves have to send to their masters.
>>

> You are probably right.
>
> Increasing
>
> transfers-in/out
> transfers-per-ns
> serial-query-rate
>
> on both master and slave improved the slave load time considerably to 577 zones/sec.
> Which one is the important one to increase, I don't know.

Assuming that the zones were mostly up to date, it was serial-query-rate.

Also, FYI, you're getting pretty close to the point where the
master/slave configuration is going to become a bottleneck. If you plan
to grow much beyond this point you should start looking at making all of
your systems masters and using an out of band method to update the zones.

hth,

Doug

			-- OK Go